Sunday, August 28, 2016

Movie of the day: Don't Breathe

Rocky (Jane Levy), Alex (Dylan Minnette), and Money (Daniel Zovatto), are petty thieves.  They break into houses and rob them but they are careful.  I kind of got the impression that Alex's dad is a cop or law enforcement of some sort.  His rule is they  never steal money.  
Rocky and Money are determined to get enough to leave their unhappy lives in Chicago and go to California.  When Money announced he has the solution for them Alex makes it clear he is not up for it.  A veteran's daughter was killed in a car accident and the family settled for over 300,000 dollars.  Money is desperate to get Rocky away from Chicago and he begs Alex to help them.
They are all a little hesitant when they find out their victim is blind.  But it's a easy job and Money and Rocky, at least, are determined to find the stash and leave town.
The blind man (Stephen Lang) is no pushover though and he fights back with a vengeance.  

I won't spoil everything.  So I'm not going to talk any more about the plot.  

What I liked about it:  This is a horror movie and there are plenty of moments of sheer suspense.  A blind man trying to defend his home from intruders and since he can't see he uses all of his other senses, but mostly hearing to ferret out the thieves.  There were a few moments when I felt I couldn't breathe.  It's so quiet and eerie I found myself holding my breath too.  As far as that goes it's pretty good.  
I like that the characters are all human.  That is, there is no supreme evil and there is no supreme good.  It's kind of a change that there is no true victim and there are no true heroes.  The fact of the matter is three people break into a man's home and he has every right to defend himself.  Too bad he's a bit psycho and extreme.  But unlike a lot of horror movies where the psycho has very little to NO reason for their unscrupulous acts of violence... there was a somewhat logical reason behind everything that is happening in this movie.  The extreme that things are taken I don't understand but there is purpose.  And in horror movies... that's pretty rare.

Things i didn't like:  Complicated... confused me.  The reason I liked it so much is the same reason i didn't like it.  There were no true heroes.  There were no innocent victims.  I had no sympathy or empathy for any of the characters.  The blind guy totally had justification in defending himself against thieves, no matter their noble motivation.  However, like I said... the guy was also psycho in his own right and he took his retaliation to such an extreme that I couldn't relate to him either.  And part of me was cheering on the Thieves.

The swearing was on the extreme side although it does lessen up a bit after about half an hour or so into the movie.
Extreme violence.  The blind man has psycho mad skills... and he's not nice.
There wasn't a lot of sex in this movie, another division from the normal horror movie.  However, towards the end of the movie there is some disturbing stuff.  Without actually doing the deed there is some intense stuff going on.  

The IMDB gave it 8.0
Rotten Tomatoes:  86% both critic and audience ratings.
I give it a 2.5 out of 3 stars.  

It worth giving a watch.                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment