Saturday, August 27, 2016

Book of the Day: The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer

Every month I meet with an amazing group of people, my friends.  We are involved in a book club and every month we read both a non-fiction book and a fictional story.  I cannot express in words how much this comradery means to me.  And I totally love the fact that we do both a fictional story and non-fictional story.  Never before in my life had a been the least bit interested in non-fictional stories.  To me that was just too close to studying and I'm through with school.  I want enjoyment and make-believe in my entertainment and during my free time.  But through our book club my horizons have been expanded and I find myself enjoying the Non-fiction ever bit as much as the Fiction, if not, at times, even more.
This month we decided to read The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer, you know, that comedian from Saturday Night Live, I guess.
I usually commit myself to the books we choose during book club and I'll be honest... we've chosen some really... long and interesting... yeah, I'll go with interesting... books.  Subjects so far removed from what I normally like to read that I had  never even heard of them.
I'm a pretty... prudish... person.  I don't mean to be and I have loosened up a heck of a lot in the last few years but there are still subjects that make my nose wrinkle and that I'm like... uh... why?  i don't understand why anybody would want to expose themselves to 8 to 10 hours of vulgar, graphic, obscene... ick!  There's been a few books that... because we were doing it for book club... I listened to the book.  The entire thing with disgust and unhappiness but by gosh i was going to finish!
There have only been two books that I could not finish... well technically three books.  The first one was Mark Twain's Autobiography.  This was such a monster volume that it was broken into 2 seperate books and one of the books was 26 hours and the other one was 24 hours,  It was so dry and written in such a confusing way I think I hold the record within our group by listening for 5 or 6 hours and it was agony..  Nobody else even made it close to listening that long.
Most of us didn't make it through Monuments men... but i did.  Most of us struggled with The Embrace because the reader was so awful but i made it through...
I struggled a lot with the Jenny Lawson books because she's pretty... descriptive and vulgar too and while I found it mostly distasteful there were parts that I laughed and enjoyed.  And I forced myself to listen to them.  And I did find myself laughing and being able to overlook some of the totally unnecessary and offensive subjects she totally goes off about.  I'm sorry but referencing the word vagina in a book... is that really necessary?

Sigh.

I did not make it through the Amy Schumer book.  I was revolted and put off by Jenny Lawson's books for the reason I stated above. and I really, really struggled to get through them.  I stopped listening to the Amy Schumer book after about five minutes into the first chapter when she devotes the entire thing, in letter form, TO her vagina and she talks about all the adventures they've been on together and all the good times and all the men and I was thinking.... this just makes you a slut and whore and its not really something to brag about and I couldn't get past it.

Different Strokes for different folks.  She's a world known celebrity and obviously a lot of people find her funny and entertaining.

I couldn't get past the swearing or the filth and smut of what she was writing about and if you want my opinion... the amusement that society finds in the degradation and mocking of things that should be private... if not out and out sacred... things that should be beautiful and treasured rather than used as a tool to shock or the irreverent and frivolous attitude,,. it's part of the reason the world is in the state that it is.

This is not humor.  It's not funny.

I was never a huge Amy Schumer fan anyhow but any kind of respect I might have had for her... is gone.  The few minutes of this book I FORCED myself to listen to put a bad taste in my mouth.  For decencies sake:  Pass,


No comments:

Post a Comment