Saturday, August 27, 2016

Broadway Show: La Cage Aux Folles

We all tend to get embarrassed by family.  Some times the things our parents do are beyond humiliating.  I remember being embarrassed by my own parent's as a teenager.  My mom running around with pink and turquoise blue curler's in her hair and she had an extra loud voice.  And I was a normal, extra sensitive teenager.                                              Imagine that your fiance's father is an ultra conservative well known for his political views regarding transgender people and gay people.  Now imagine that you have fallen deeply in love with a beautiful, lovely young lady and she wants you to introduce her and her ultra conservative mother and father to meet your parents.  
Problem.  Your parents are gay and you mother is a man that prefers to dress as and behaves as a woman.  Sounds like trouble.  So Jean-Michael (Daniel Pack) goes to his parents and tells his father, Georges (Caleb Perry), no, he begs his father to call his biological mother and that Albino (Cameron Kapetenov) the woman/man who has raised him as her/his own must make herself/himself scarce for one night.  Just this one night!  Imagine what Anne, Jean-Michael's fiance will think?

Bigotry and hate shouldn't be accepted on any level for any reason.  Who are we to judge?  Who determines what is right and what is wrong in this world?   The social pressures now-a-days are strong and very real.  We all have our opinion on morality but it should be kept in mind, whoever you are whatever you believe, that it is not our place to judge.  Tolerance, love and a little understanding go a long, long way.

Jean-Michael takes down all of the decorations in his parent's house and begs them to 'tone it down' to appease his fiance's father.  And his parent's, because they love him so much oblige.  They adorn suits and ties and do away with their regular flamboyant garb in an attempt to please their son.

Again, I must talk about my mom for a minute.  I remember a few instances in school where I forgot my lunch or a homework project or something little and I would call her and ask her if she would bring it to me.  It was clear she wasn't happy about it... but she never failed to say she would do it.  And she would come marching down the halls of my school with whatever I had asked her to bring to me and rather than being thankful and adoring I would run up to her snatch the thing away from her and usher her away because I was so embarrassed by her.  My friends though would tell me  how lucky I was that my parents loved me so much.  Back then I couldn't comprehend it.  Doesn't every parent in the world just drop what their doing automatically to fill their child's every desire?  To bail them out and clean up whatever mess they've gotten themselves in to?  Isn't that how life works?

Yeah.

Eventually Jean-Michael realizes the error of his ways.  Recognizes how much his parents love him and have sacrificed for him and he apologizes for asking them to pretend to be something they are not.

La Cage Aux Folles is playing at the Ziegfeld Theater for a limited time.  Below is the link for the official press release.  And also the link to the Ziegfeld Theater



See this hilarious, beautiful, heart warming show before it is gone!!!  It was just amazing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment